It’s not news that more and more people are opting for work-from-home arrangements these days, with the pandemic sending many of us scurrying to our basements and living rooms in search of safe employment. But the real future lies in a newer, less heralded form of remote working—one enabled by Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS). What is it about DaaS that has some experts predicting it will revolutionize how we think about computing? In this blog post, we’ll explore what sets DaaS apart from traditional remote working methods so you can decide if this modern technology could benefit your work life.
Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) is a cloud-based delivery model that allows users to access a virtual desktop environment from anywhere, on any device. This model provides a cost-effective and scalable solution for businesses to provide their employees with secure, remote access to the applications and data they need to do their jobs.
One of the biggest benefits of DaaS is that it allows employees to work from anywhere, on any device. This is particularly useful for companies with a distributed workforce, as it allows employees to access their desktop environment from home, a remote office, or even while on the go. This not only increases flexibility and productivity but also helps to reduce the need for expensive office space and hardware.
What the Numbers Say
According to a survey by the Enterprise Strategy Group, the use of VDI has increased significantly in recent years. In 2019, the survey found that 63% of organizations were using VDI, up from 51% in 2018. The survey also found that organizations using VDI reported several benefits, including improved security (57%), reduced costs (55%), and increased productivity (53%).
Looking to the future, the demand for VDI will continue to grow. A report by MarketsandMarkets predicts that the VDI market will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 8.7% between 2020 and 2025. This growth is expected to be driven by a number of factors, including the increasing use of remote work and the need for organizations to provide secure and flexible access to desktop environments.
Desktop as a service has become an increasingly popular technology for organizations looking to provide remote access to desktops and applications. Its benefits, including improved security and cost savings, will continue driving its adoption in the coming years.
Some benefits of DaaS for remote work include:
- Increased flexibility and mobility: With desktops as a service, employees can access their work desktops from any device with an internet connection, which means they can work from any location. This can be especially helpful for remote workers who need to work from different locations or are constantly on the go.
- Improved security: DaaS providers typically offer robust security measures to protect the virtual desktops and the data stored on them. This can include encryption, multi-factor authentication, and regular security updates, which can help protect against cyber threats.
- Cost savings: Desktop as a service pricing can be more cost-effective than traditional desktop solutions, eliminating the need for on-premises infrastructure and hardware. This can help organizations save on upfront costs and reduce overall IT spending.
- Scalability: With DaaS, organizations can easily scale their virtual desktop environments to accommodate changes in their workforce. This can be particularly useful for organizations experiencing rapid growth or with many remote workers.
- Easy deployment and management: DaaS providers typically handle the deployment and management of virtual desktops, which means organizations don’t have to worry about maintaining on-premises infrastructure or managing complex IT systems. This can free up IT staff to focus on other important tasks.
Furthermore, desktops as a service can help businesses to reduce their IT costs. By moving to a cloud-based delivery model, businesses can eliminate the need for expensive hardware and on-premises IT infrastructure. This reduces upfront and ongoing maintenance costs, upgrades, and support costs.
DaaS is a powerful solution for businesses looking to enable their employees to work remotely while benefiting from increased flexibility, scalability, security, and cost savings. As more and more businesses adopt remote work policies, DaaS is likely to become increasingly popular to support this trend.
How does VDI and DaaS Work Together?
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and Desktop as a Service (DaaS) are two technologies that can work together to provide remote access to desktops and applications.
VDI is a technology that allows users to access and use a virtual desktop with an internet connection from any device. This is typically achieved by running a virtualization platform on on-premises servers, which hosts the virtual desktops and applications.
DaaS, on the other hand, is a cloud-based service that allows users to access and use a virtual desktop from any device with an internet connection. With DaaS, virtual desktops are hosted on the cloud rather than on on-premises servers.
One way that VDI and DaaS can work together is by using DaaS as the underlying platform for VDI. This can be especially useful for organizations that want to provide remote access to their on-premises desktops and applications but don’t have the infrastructure or resources to host the virtual desktops on-premises. In this case, the organization can use DaaS as the underlying platform for VDI, allowing them to provide remote access to their on-premises desktops and applications without needing on-premises infrastructure.
Another way that VDI and DaaS can work together is by using VDI to provide remote access to cloud-based applications. In this scenario, the organization would use VDI to host the virtual desktops on the cloud and then use DaaS to provide remote access to the virtual desktops. This allows the organization to provide secure and flexible access to cloud-based applications without needing on-premises infrastructure.
Many workers have found that DaaS provides the affordability, flexibility, and usability they need to work effectively from home. DaaS could be the answer if you’re looking for a way to improve your remote working arrangements. We can help you get started with this cutting-edge technology so you can see how it can revolutionize your work. Let us know if you’re interested in learning more about DaaS and how it could benefit your business.